Tuesday, October 1, 2013

10/1/13 - One month transformation

One month into my transformation and I don't know if what has happened could be called progress...may be its that I feel that if I shared what my approach to the past month with many people, I believe that they would shake their heads and laugh.  I know those people.  Some are my friends...but I'm not doing this for those people, I'm doing this for me. 

One month in, here's what I know.

Any change in my exercise and diet take more than 1 month to be noticeable.  About 15 years ago, I started a diet (with little exercise) that gave me major results in 15 days.  That's not my overeall history, not my reality, and not what I want for the future.  I want to make lasting changes, ones that I won't back slide from.  So I will keep making decisions that serve me well.

Getting caught up in the "shoulds" gets me down and doesn't move me forward.  I sometimes let my daily routine cause me to feel pressure from obligations outside myself.  Its those voices in my head that keep telling me what I SHOULD be doing.  Lesson: I have to be true to myself first, and be "smarter" about the shoulds.  I'm not saying that I've been dumb.  But I believe that I let myself give in, I give in to the pressure of perceived expectations, I give in to the pressure that those voices tell me what I should be doing.  When I do that, when I give in, I do not honor myself or my goals.  I want to handle the shoulds that serve me, and find some way to delegate (or ignore) the rest.

I have to continue giving myself permission to let my dreams and goals motivate me.  I guess this really ties into the shoulds.  If I think about taking action for too long, I will talk myself out of taking action.  I will rationalize action away for all the things that I "should" be doing instead.  Action will move me forward, inactivity won't.  A very wise friend told me, "Don't judge, just do.  And when you're done, look back to see if it worked, learn from it, and do again."

I think that my most important lesson is to love myself and support myself as I move forward.  This means that whatever I do, that I accept it as part of the process.  I will move forward.  I will embrace what comes.  At times there will be tears, at times disbelief, and sometimes they will slow me down...but I can't, no, I won't let them stop me.  I accept that I have flaws, but I love myself, flaws and all. 

This month of reflection has helped me begin to create a new vision...a revision of who I am...and who I am becoming.  Today, everything is possible!

No comments:

Post a Comment